Archive for the ‘Uncategorized’ Category
The editors of the e-Journal of Neonatology Research
ORIGINAL RESEARCH AND REVIEWS
Robert Newell, Reese H. Clark, Dan Ellsbury, Robert Ursprung, P. Brian Smith, C. Michael Cotten, and Alan R. Spitzer
Corey Nason Reese and Jeff Reese
COMMENTARIES – this issue is devoted to documentation of the SUPPORT controversy through on-line links
Links to Editorials Elsewhere
Jeffrey M. Drazen, M.D., Caren G. Solomon, M.D., M.P.H., and Michael F. Greene, M.D
EDITORS CHOICE: TOP TEN PUBLICATIONS IN NEONATOLOGY (this quarter)
1. Targeted neonatal echocardiography (TnECHO) service in a Canadian neonatal intensive care unit: a 4-year experience. El-Khuffash A, Herbozo C, Jain A, Lapointe A, McNamara PJ. J Perinatol. 2013 Apr 25. doi: 10.1038/jp.2013.42.
2. Probiotic administration in congenital heart disease: a pilot study. Ellis CL, Bokulich NA, Kalanetra KM, Mirmiran M, Elumalai J, Haapanen L, Schegg T, Rutledge JC, Raff G, Mills DA, Underwood MA. J Perinatol. 2013 Apr 18. doi: 10.1038/jp.2013.41.
3. Implementation of an electronic data monitoring system decreases the rate of hyperoxic episodes in premature neonates. Ellsworth MA, Carey WA, Li M, Wilson GD, Harris MN, Colby CE. J Perinatol. 2013 Apr 11. doi: 10.1038/jp.2013.36.
4. Recommended NICU design standards and the physical environment of the NICU. White RD. J Perinatol. 2013 Apr;33 Suppl 1:S1. doi: 10.1038/jp.2013.9.
5. Cronobacter: an emerging opportunistic pathogen associated with neonatal meningitis, sepsis and necrotizing enterocolitis. Hunter CJ, Bean JF. J Perinatol. 2013 Mar 28. doi: 10.1038/jp.2013.26.
6. Human milk versus formula after gastroschisis repair: effects on time to full feeds and time to discharge. Kohler JA Sr, Perkins AM, Bass WT. J Perinatol. 2013 Mar 21. doi: 10.1038/jp.2013.27.
7. Prompt Control of an Outbreak Caused by Extended-Spectrum β-Lactamase-Producing Klebsiella pneumoniae in a Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. Cantey JB, Sreeramoju P, Jaleel M, Treviño S, Gander R, Hynan LS, Hill J, Brown C, Chung W, Siegel JD, Sánchez PJ. J Pediatr. 2013 Apr 10. doi:pii: S0022-3476(13)00266-7. 10.1016/j.jpeds.2013.03.001
8. Cognitive Impairment at Age 5 Years in Very Preterm Infants Born Following Premature Rupture of Membranes. Mura T, Picaud JC, Larroque B, Galtier F, Marret S, Roze JC, Truffert P, Kuhn P, Fresson J, Thiriez G, Arnaud C, Mercier G, Picot MC, Ancel PY, Ledesert B; Etude Epidémiologique sur les Petits Ages Gestationnels (EPIPAGE) Study Group. J Pediatr. 2013 Mar 9. doi:pii: S0022-3476(13)00114-5. 10.1016/j.jpeds.2013.01.039.
9. Physical Examination Instead of Laboratory Tests for Most Infants Born to Mothers Colonized with Group B Streptococcus: Support for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s 2010 Recommendations. Cantoni L, Ronfani L, Da Riol R, Demarini S; Perinatal Study Group of the Region Friuli-Venezia Giulia. J Pediatr. 2013 Mar 8. doi:pii: S0022-3476(13)00109-1. 10.1016/j.jpeds.2013.01.034.
10. Quality of reporting and evidence in american academy of pediatrics guidelines. Isaac A, Saginur M, Hartling L, Robinson JL. Pediatrics. 2013 Apr;131(4):732-8. doi: 10.1542/peds.2012-2027.
NEONATOLOGY JOURNAL CLUB
Ten Noteworthy Neonatology Abstracts at the Pediatric Academic Society Meeting 2013 and why we think so:
1. [1165.2] Should Very Low Birth Weight Infants Receive Enteral Nutrition during Indomethacin or Ibuprofen Treatment of a Patent Ductus Arteriosus?
2. [2180.4] High-Flow Nasal Cannulae vs. Nasal CPAP for Post-Extubation Respiratory Support of Very Preterm Infants: A Multicenter, Randomized, Non-Inferiority Trial
Brett J. Manley, Louise S. Owen, Lex W. Doyle, Chad C. Andersen, David W. Cartwright, Margo A. Pritchard, Susan M. Donath, Peter G. Davis. (Answer – HFNC not inferior)
3. [3500.6] Randomized Controlled Trial of Limited Versus Traditional Oxygen Strategy during Resuscitation in Preterm Newborns
Vishal S. Kapadia, Lina F. Chalak, Lucy Christie, Rashmin C. Savani, Myra H. Wyckoff. (better outcomes with less oxygen)
4. [2922.311] The Combination Therapy of Phenobarbital and Opiate for Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
Margaret Cooper, Zubair Aghai, Aparna Roy, William Graessle. (starting phenobarbitol up front was not better than starting when indicated)
5. [2924.474] Changes in Therapy and Outcomes Associated with the Support Trial
Jaclyn LeVan, Luc P. Brion, Lisa A. Wrage, On Behalf of the NICHD (centers have altered their lower ranges since the report of the SUPPORT trial).
6. [3832.536] Prophylactic Erythropoietin Exacerbates Ventilation-Induced Lung and Brain Inflammation in Preterm Lambs
Graeme R. Polglase, Samantha K. Barton, Tim J.M. Moss, Jacqueline Melville, Megan J. Wallace, Valerie Zahra, Stuart B. Hooper, Mary Tolcos. (animal model sounds a warning)
7. [3838.618] Elevated Immunoreactive Trypsinogen in Very Low Birth Weight Infants May Predict Intestinal Perforation
Nicole D. Birge, Kathy Como-Sabetti, Beth-Ann Bloom, Cathy Worwa, Catherine M. Bendel. (not a very large range for detecti0n, but relatively easy and timely to use).
8. [3838.636] A Method To Identify Susceptibility for NEC in Preterm Infants
Puneet Jairath, Kim Doheny, Charles Palmer. (another potentially promising idea).;
9.  Getting to Zero: Development of a NEC QI Initiative To Decrease Progression in NEC Severity
Jenny R. Fox, Tazuddin A. Mohammed, Russell R. Moores, Jr., Archana Jayaram, Sharon A. Cone, Karen D. Hendricks-Munoz. (proof of principle)
10.  Optimal Heart Rate Cut-Off for Initiation of Chest Compressions during Neonatal Resuscitation
Bobby Mathew, Jayasree Nair, Daniel D. Swartz, Changxing Ma, Vinay Sharma, Sylvia F. Gugino, Carmon Koenigsknecht, Satyan Lakshminrusimha. (nothing happening below 80 bpm)
11. SURPRISE FINDING of the Meeting: The Impact of Different Neonatal Intensive Care Environments on Brain Development and Function in Preterm Infants ~ Roberta Pineda, Jeffrey Neil, Donna Dierker, Chris Smyser, Hiroyuki Kidokoro, Lauren Reynolds, Cynthia Rogers, Amit Mathur, David Van Essen, Terrie Inder (single rooms may not be better after all – note top ten publication # 4 above)
Recommended Neonatal Blogs and Sites
NeonatologyResearch.org by Dr Dr Keith Barrington
Public Health Blog Page at Texas Childrens by Dr Steven Abrams
Neonatology on the Web by Ray Duncan
Research Raven – Neonatal Conferences by Good Samaritin
Retrospectoscope – A reminder of where the field was immediately prior to SUPPORT trial completion.
Alan H. Jobe* and Suhas G. Kallapur
There were no rejected manuscript(s) and zero rejected letter(s) for this volume (we will NOT publish specific information about individual rejections).